If you are looking to forge a career in environment health and safety (EHS), we have many opportunities with a diverse range of organisations.
Many of the vacancies in our listings are for high level health and safety specialists, creating and delivering safety strategy for some of the largest brands globally. Recruiters for these roles are invariably seeking an individual with extensive EHS experience, with a strong track record of results.
Qualifications are also important, with most requiring a Chartered safety professional for the most senior roles. For mid level and even junior roles diploma level or NVQ 5 is becoming a must have.
If you are taking your first steps into the world of EHS, we post many mid and junior vacancies. Many of these offer on the job training. This will give you a perfect opportunity to develop the sort of experience necessary to apply for the higher level EHS roles.
However, even the entry-level positions are seeking a certain kind of individual. Most EHS recruiters are looking for candidates who can demonstrate the following skills or traits:
1. A Good Communicator – Many EHS roles involve communicating at all levels across organisations, including regular interaction with both colleagues and customers. Good verbal and written communication is therefore a must.
2. The Power of Persuasion – It is one thing to communicate well, but it is quite another to communicate effectively. When explaining and enforcing health and safety policies, candidates with strong persuasive skills will perform the best.
3. A Born Leader – ESH roles often require for individuals to work autonomously as they manage their own projects. Recruiters thus look for candidates with proven leadership skills, as well as demonstrable initiative and drive.
4. An Organised Mind – With multiple projects to manage in a demanding and fast-paced environment, most ESH roles require individuals with strong organisational skills, who are able to manage numerous simultaneous tasks.
5. Attention To Detail – Of course, it should go without saying that an analytical mind is essential for success in the field of HAZID and HAZOP studies a nd candidates will regularly be required to closely monitor processes and practices in order to ensure best practice across entire organisations.
To sum up, the ESH sector values powerful communicators with great reserves of self-discipline and a stringent attention to detail.
If this sounds like you, why not take a look at our latest Environment Health & Safety jobs?