The Consumer Goods Forum (CGF) is seeking an experienced Communications Director who is able to seamlessly balance the mix between strategic planning and day-to-day operational support.
This is an enviable opportunity to put your creative stamp on the communications of a purpose-driven organisation that plays a key role in shaping the future of the consumer goods industry.
You will join the organisation at a critical time as it continues to build on the work of its eight Coalitions of Action and begins to see a return to physical events in the post-COVID era, helping to drive action and impact at scale.
You will also have the opportunity to partner with some of the biggest consumer brands and retailers in the world on industry-defining initiatives driven by the CGF that help benefit people and planet, working on some of the biggest challenges facing the industry, including consumer health, deforestation, plastic waste, forced labour, food safety, and product data.
As an essential member of the CGF's Management Committee, the Director must be able to influence peers, work transversely across multiple teams at one time and play a central role in defining how the CGF is perceived by members, external stakeholders, and the media, bringing fresh ideas and new thinking to the table.
You will also develop and foster proactive engagement to maintain and elevate all organisational communications, working closely with the other directors across the organisation, including events, membership, and the coalitions.
This position is based at the CGF's headquarters in France (Paris area) with a hybrid/teleworking policy. You will be reporting to the Managing Director. The communications team currently includes six direct reports.
Your key responsibilities:
Communications & Marketing Strategy
- Develop and implement the core communications plan for the CGF and work with teams to develop focused plans for the individual coalitions and events and work with team to ensure implementation.
- Develop and execute PR strategy, working with the agency of choice, to help position the CGF as a leader and to profile key spokespeople.
- Develop and execute a plan to engage key target audiences with measurable objectives and develop KPIs related to marketing and communication activities.
- Own strategy and execution for all print and digital communications assets, monitoring, and reporting on key KPIs.
Support the growth and development of the communications team by providing day-to-day, operational support to individual team members to ensure goals are met.
- Collaborate with HR in hiring team members as needed to deliver team objectives, and in constructing and structuring team development and manager plans.
- Be an essential and vocal member of the CGF's Management Committee, providing expertise where necessary and advocating for the work of the communications team.
- Develop and manage annual budgets.
Managing the main brand identity and ensure accurate implementation across all channels, including events, and when used by third parties.
- Equip membership team with assets that articulate the CGF's value proposition, including, but not limited to, the corporate brochure and presentation, website, annual report, and Member Benefits Guide.
- Assist in spreading the work of the CGF by partnering with third-party events and ensuring appropriate brand representation.
Collatoral & Messaging
- Lead the development of corporate communications materials, e.g. corporate brochure and presentations, and supporting in developing content for the coalitions and events.
- Develop and publish external communications, including press releases, op-eds, blogs, and longer- form social media posts.
- Develop and evolve key themes, topics, and messages for the CGF as a global brand, as well as for individual coalitions and events.
- Provide executive coaching and media training for fellow CGF Management Committee members.
- Partner with key members to help develop collateral such as the annual report and annual top-of- mind report.
- Develop and own crisis communication plan and execution, when needed.
- Help manage expectations of members and communicate position/decision of certain communications approaches.
- Engage with members globally to advocate the work of the CGF, ensuring members have access to messaging, toolkits, and other essential resources that help them to promote the CGF's work.
- Work with members in the development of new resources, including interviews, blogs, podcasts, and quotes.
- Engage with NGOs and other external stakeholders to ensure CGF positioning, and messaging is clear for all parties and work with them on joint communications plans, where necessary.
You should bring the following key skills and experience
- Native-level oral and written English; additional language is a plus.
- Exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, with ability to switch between formal and informal written tone.
- Demonstrable experience of 10+ years or equivalent in leadership and communications.
- General understanding of FMCG and retail businesses on an international level, and familiarity with stakeholder relations in this context is a plus.
- Considerable experience influencing, driving, and managing media relations.
- Strong leadership skills with track record in developing and managing internal teams and a successful culture while being a team player who's not afraid to roll up your sleeves to help get work done and be involved operationally
- Experience in an international environment and a matrix organisation.
- Proficient in social media and other digital marketing strategies, especially email marketing.
- Technical familiarity with the Adobe Suite (esp. InDesign, Premier and Photoshop) is essential, as is a working knowledge of Google Analytics and WordPress to assist the team when needed.
- Understanding the environment to work collaboratively both within the CGF and in partnership with ecosystem organisations, as well as managing external agencies and consultants.
- Ability to see through the chaos, provide strategic input and remain calm in high-stress situations.
- Ability to forward plan and budget.
If you've realised this is the opportunity for you in bringing significant impact, please apply directly. If you have any questions, please contact Jacopo Cesari at firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire further.
Please note that only applications directly through our website/link will be considered.